Tuesday 19 November 2013

The Cable Guy

I had the loveliest cable guy in my apartment fixing our Wifi and calling me ‘ma’am’! No word of a lie, he was the sweetest man on Earth. When I asked him if he would like a drink, he grinned and asked if I had any hot tea. I served it to him in a cup and saucer and he was thrilled! 

We sipped and chatted for ages. He told me he was from Mississippi and that he’d visited 35 American states. He told me he had dreams of going to England, Rome and other places he’d seen on the puzzles he used to make (!). He said 'Ma'am, what's that place where those boats go up and down outside the houses?' I said, 'Venice?' He said, 'Yes! I'd like to go there very much. I think that's just crazy!' (Please read that in a Mississippi accent. I know, I can't do one either, but it's fun to try!) I gave him a magazine of places to see in Britain and he said he would use them to paint from (!!). We then spoke about his work and he told me that he recently had a job in a mansion where there were nine bathrooms, two cinemas and two swimming pools connected by a slide! One man lived there, he told me. 'That’s too much house for one man,' he said (Do the accent again!). 

When he left I had a ridiculous smile on my face. Don’t you just love meeting genuinely friendly, honest and interesting people? A sweet accent helps too!

2 comments:

  1. I bet he is still telling his friends about the sweet English girl he meet while working. You made his day I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete