Thursday 21 November 2013

Gifts from Loopy

Our next door neighbours are a Mexican couple who moved to Dallas from Mexico City. I'm not going to guess how old they are, but they have grown up children with children of their own, so they are definitely a lot older than me. Anyway, I would like to announce that they are the best neighbours we could ever have hoped for. Why? Because they bring us food. What kind of food? Full on, authentic, home-cooked, Mexican food with all the kicks and sombreros (I imagine that's what the food would wear if it could choose an item of clothing - that is probably the most stereotypical thing I could have said and I apologise). 

We've had soup, corn tortillas, some kind of sweet bread (I couldn't make out the name), white cheese straight from Mexico City (similar to mozzarella) and even a cookbook that we have been told to choose anything from for Loopy (that's the wife's name - I have no idea of the spelling but that's how it sounded when she said it) to make for us in her kitchen of spicy wonders. We think we are going to choose Chilorio, which is chile-seasoned pork served in flour tortillas with rice, beans and guacamole. God bless Loopy! Needless to say, whenever there is a knock on the door, I get very excited. 

I decided to gift them back one day with some authentic English cuisine, so I made scones. Naturally. Feedback from Loopy and her husband was very positive and I will be inviting them in for tea and crumpets soon (I'm even stereotypical about my own people). 

No comments:

Post a Comment