Friday 29 November 2013

Thanksgiving

I experienced my first Thanksgiving yesterday! There was turkey (not a whole one - I assured my husband that we were not up to the challenge), yams (or sweet potatoes to us Brits), cranberry sauce (home-made!!!), pyjamas till midday and jazz hands at the 87th Macy Parade. It was glorious!

I set my alarm, sprang out of bed, bellowed 'Happy Thanksgiving' and ran into the lounge to switch on the Parade. While making pancakes for breakfast, I was serenaded by Broadway super stars as they gave sneak peaks into the latest and biggest musicals - what a way to start the day! The floats were bright and full of waving hands and sparkling teeth. Snoopy, Spiderman (whose left arm was tragically deflated by a Central Park tree), The Pillsbury Dough Boy (my personal favourite - he's so cute and fat!), Sponge Bob, Uncle Sam (still not quite sure who this is?), Buzz Lightyear (who injured a worker when a cart in his entourage ran over her foot), Sonic the Hedgehog, Ronald MacDonald, and Hello Kitty were only a few of the enormous balloons making their way through the rammed streets of New York City, flying lower than normal due to high winds. I watched about a billion High School marching bands perform, all scarily professional, and thousands of workers dressed up as clowns, sea creatures, stars, gingerbread men, elves, fried eggs (?!), Christmas trees, cupcakes and many more amusing things. My favourite were the children made to sit in human-size present boxes with matching lids on their heads. Father Christmas finished the spectacle with a very convincing beard and belly, and I found myself feeling all warm and fuzzy.

We ate our dinner...

(the cat was particularly excited)


...went for an afternoon walk at Arbor Hills Nature Preserve...




...saw a questionable swing...

(The chastity belt)


...and finished the day with a trip to the cinema to see 'Hunger Games' (FYI, at many cinemas in Dallas you sit at tables and order food and drink from menus! You just press a button and a server arrives! No queuing needed. Although, we do love to queue in England, maybe we'd miss it?)   

To conclude, I think I bellowed 'Happy Thanksgiving' ten times, and the only mini disaster that occurred was when we lost the cat and discovered her in the saucepan cupboard. All in all, a perfect success!!! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment