Monday 8 June 2015

The Texas heat made me do it...

There is nothing more annoying than having to constantly push your glasses up a sweaty nose only to have them steam up in the humidity and render you blind. So I finally did it: I got contacts.

It's weird. 

I went to the Opticians on Saturday, and the first thing I said was, "I've never been to the eye doctor in America, so I have no idea how this works." They knew I'd be trouble.

I went through to the dreaded testing room where four machines with their chin and forehead rests awaited me. One of them, I knew, was the dreaded puff test. I hate that thing. It's not so much the puff itself, it's the anticipation of the puff. But I was a trooper. I stared that puff machine in the lens and took it like a pro. 

After the machines came the, "which one is better? 1 or 2? 3 or 4?" I'm not ashamed to admit that sometimes I just guess. 

They took a photo of the inside of my eyeballs which was creepy to say the least. Once I got over the fact that those veins and optic nerves were mine, I marveled at how intricately they are designed. They are so delicate, and yet, if looked after, can last a life time. The body boggles my mind. We are definitely "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14). 

I had a tutorial on how to insert and remove my lenses. It's a lot more difficult than it looks! My poor attendant had to be very patient as I poked myself in the eye and apologised for my uselessness a billion times. I even managed to fold one of the lenses in half while it was still on my eyeball! To this, she said, "Erm, I'll just go and get my supervisor." No one wants to hear that, right? 

It is now day three of my relationship with lenses. I am still very aware of them, but I'm sure it's something I'll get used to. I can now remove them with less difficulty (it's all about the slide and pinch), and I'm blinking less than I did at the beginning (thankfully, because I looked like I was flirting with every living thing and inanimate object). 






No comments:

Post a Comment