Friday 15 November 2013

Questions answered...

I have recently been asked some questions about England from some lovely American readers that are of great importance and that require immediate answers, so here goes...


1. What is a crumpet? 

I shall start by saying that it is NOT a pancake or English muffin. It is a crumpet and a delicacy that we English enjoy at breakfast, afternoon tea or, as I discovered a few days before leaving for the States, at lunchtime with a banana milkshake. Crumpets are made from flour, yeast, sugar and milk and they have these ingenious holes in the top that make the butter ooze into its core to create a squidgy, sensational food experience. We serve them hot, and I would definitely recommend toasting them on an open fire. There are some great recipes online - I might try some out soon!



2. Do you call an English muffin an English muffin or just a muffin? 

A muffin. These are my second favourite after crumpets. In my eyes, they need more ingenious holes. 


3. If a chip is really a French fry, what do you call an American chip? 

We call them crisps and they come in all shapes, sizes and flavours. We even have vegetable crisps! Beetroot, parsnip, carrot - we like to crisp up just about anything! 


I hope that helps! Keep the questions coming!! 

1 comment:

  1. Funny...I found myself ordering an English muffin at Frankie and Benny's today. Maybe it said it on the menu..?! Xx

    ReplyDelete