Friday 14 August 2015

A Hopeful Pitch Wars Mentee

Hello!

My name is Rosemary High and I am a hopeful, nervous, excited, can't-stop-tweaking-my-manuscript, wannabe Pitch Wars mentee. Hoorah!



My Story

The first thing you'd probably notice about me is that I'm a Brit living in Dallas. 2 years ago I met and married a Texan, and, well, here I am, y'all! 

By day, I work for a small family-owned oil company, and by night I read, write, drink tea, crochet, binge on Netflix (my current weakness is 'Chuck') and dream about all the things I'd like to achieve:


1. Be the best mum I can be (we are currently expecting our first child in February 2016 - eep!)

2. Have an agent offer me representation (my palms are sweating just thinking about that!)

3. Have my books read and enjoyed by children all over the world

4. Travel all over said world

5. Overcome my fear of sharks (I still freak myself out in the deep end of swimming pools and even, on occasion, the bath) 

6. Meet J.K. Rowling, Katherine Applegate, Mitch Albom and, oh, let's throw in Tom Hanks too (because he's awesome)


I started off adult life as a teacher in England before returning to 'big school' and achieving my Masters in Creative Writing. 

Since then I have worked on many projects, my most recent being a charity middle grade novel that I self-published to raise money for Carers Trust (a UK based charity). You can take a peek at it on Amazon (Pay Attention to Black Thread by Rosemary High). 


My Manuscript Entry

I am entering with a lower middle grade novel entitled The Woodwose. It has the quirks of a fairytale, along with a little madness, adventure, mystery, friendship, loyalty and a few spiteful squirrels. There are also some Wonkfugglets, Sprutwinkles and Fudrockers thrown in for good measure, because you can never have too many made-up creatures and fun-to-say names, right?! 

My hero is Gerald, aka, The Woodwose. Up until his tenth birthday, he was Prince Gerald of Lundell, but then the hairy midnight madness crept in, along with the inconvenient tree licking, and his parents decided it was time for him to find a nice cave to live in.

My heroine is Fidella, a secretive princess with a not-so-royal past. She seeks Gerald out in his lonely forest abode with the intent on helping him find a cure, and ends up redeeming her own dishonest story in the process.

My writing is very British. I know this because the members of my lovely Dallas critique group often pull out phrases and words that make them a) smile and b) request a translation. 

I would love to work with a Pitch Wars mentor who will bring my work out into the light and make it shine for a global audience. I am approaching this project with open ears and a heart to learn, as well as several pens ready to edit, cross-out and amend.   

I am your lump of literary clay! Sculpt me, please! 






   

1 comment: