Saturday 16 November 2013

Don't Walk

People don’t walk in the Dallas area. I discovered this the other day when I told my husband that I was going to walk to Walmart and he could meet me there after work. He asked me to wait for him to get home so he could drive me, but I said no, it’s ok, I’d like the fresh air. Ok, he said, but be VERY careful. Am I going to get shot? I asked. No, he said, just be wary of cars, they’re not used to pedestrians. Do you know who else isn't used to pedestrians in the Dallas area? The little green man whose job it is to make it safe for you to cross. He either doesn't show up or does a quick cheeky flash before disappearing behind the red hand again. At one I waited for FIFTEEN minutes before giving up and following the lead of a jay-walking native. When he does make an appearance to tell you it’s safe to cross, he LIES, because cars are still allowed to turn right! Little Green Man, me and you got beef.  

No comments:

Post a Comment