Tuesday 17 February 2015

The Trail Ride

This Valentine's Day was a true winner! I was treated to a vase of red roses and chrysanthemums at work (Brownie points for Mr. A High) and a vintage 1950s teapot (Brownie points WITH BOWS ON for Mr. A High). We decided to get out of the city on Saturday, so booked ourselves on a trail ride at Ray Roberts Lake.

The hour's drive there took us through fields and small towns, past the Cowboy Bible Church and various cotton trails. There is plenty of space to breathe in the big Texas outdoors.





Black Mustang Ranch welcomed us with its dirt road track, swinging gate and humble house. We signed our disclaimers, donned our helmets and saddled up. My stirrup leathers were lengthened and lengthened again ("Dang girl, you got some legs!").

Now, I hadn't ridden for two years, and Austin had ridden maybe once in his whole life, so the well worn western saddles were not sympathetic to our hineys. But the weather was beautiful, the horses had that glorious horsey smell, and the scenery was lovely.

The ride was two hours long (baptism of fire on our butts) and led by Monica, a no nonsense rider from Spain with a bottom of steel. Poppy was my steed, a gentle bay who was very sensitive to my aids. Austin rode behind me on *I can't remember his name, let''s call him Sea Biscuit*, who loved nothing more than being right on Poppy's tail. It was a basic walk/trot ride, and Austin mastered the rising trot n very well (at first he was bouncing around as though riding a jack hammer). At first he was very excited to be on a horse, and wanted to go full speed ahead. By the time the first hour was over, however, his experience turned into a game of perseverance as every muscle in his lower body screamed in protest.

When we returned to the ranch, we prepared to dismount. Now, usually when dismounting you remove both feet from the stirrups, swing your right leg over and slide down with elegance and poise. I now know that in my 12 years of riding, I took this simple manouvre for granted, as, being thoroughly rusty in all things riding, this was the hardest part of the ride, due to the fact that my legs were seized and stiff from being back in the saddle. When I landed, my legs were bowed, and Austin and I spent the rest of the day trying not to resemble John Wayne.

Despite our aches and pains, the ride was wonderful, and I will be looking for opportunities to do more in the future.

Here are a few snaps from the day:


The gentle Poppy (Yes, I tried to look as cowboy as possible in my shirt and jeans. I am unashamed)


Austin and *I can't remember his name, let's call him Sea Biscuit*


Poppy and I raring to go! (It was 27 degrees centigrade. Glorious! But, true to Texas winter weather, three days later it is 0. I can't keep up!)



The recovery position


Hydrating in my team GB hat 


A small town eatery - wonderful food hidden away in Pilot Point. If you're ever out that way, you should stop by.


Skipping rocks at Ray Roberts Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment