Friday 6 February 2015

Creepy Little Phone Fairy

We have a new phone system at work. In fact, it's being set up now. It's very swanky. Any moment now, the incoming call screen might pop up in front of me as I am typing. It's quite unnerving actually. I feel like Buddy the Elf winding all those Jack-in-the-Boxes: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppDhmg7nk8s

I'm not a big tech person, but this new system is pretty cool. I can answer, transfer, send to voice-mail, hold and page all on my computer. I can even call everyone at once so that my voice echoes out of their phone docks like a creepy little phone fairy (I have to be very careful not to bellow as the power I have to make them jump is mighty...and very tempting...). I can even see how many unchecked voice messages everyone has. It's a little stalker-ish. But I love it!

The best part - I have a headset! I feel like an 80s pop star. I feel like Madonna! Plus it means that I can grab a drink from the break room without the fear that I'll have to charge back if the phone rings. I could even go to the loo! I won't do this, of course, but it's nice to have the option. 

As of today, I am also the new Voicemail/After Hours voice for the company. In other words, it's my voice you'll hear saying 'Press 1 for... Press 2 for...' and 'Have a nice day!' I don't know whether to be proud or horrified. I'll settle for 'mildly chuffed', although I'm slightly concerned that someone will call, hear my dulcet tones, think they've made an international call and never call again.  Ah well. 


In other news:

My sister has started her big Asian adventure! For two months she will be traveling around Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and various other exotic places. I'm thrilled for her! And very slightly jealous, if slightly means 'really really'. She has been wanting to do a big trip for years, and now she's there, living it up and riding elephants! 

I'm really hoping that Austin and I will become that family that has a camper van and travels around America during the holidays. My dad has already informed me that he wants to park one in our back garden when we eventually own a house so that he and my mum can use it when they come over to visit. I'm sure Austin and I could commandeer it for our own adventures. Think of how spiced up this blog would be if we decided to do just that! You wouldn't have to read about my works new phone system for one.

I saw a TV advert today where a couple were seeing America's sights in one of those silver, aluminium can-type campers. I'm not sure I'd feel too safe in one of those. I've seen a bad storm over here, and sleeping in a tuna can is just asking for trouble. 


An apology:

I am very sorry this post is being released on a Friday. I know it bears no resemblance to a Tuesday, and that last week I posted on a Wednesday. I will endeavor to do better. My recent inconsistency is shameful. I am a bad creepy little phone fairy. 

See you next Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment