Tuesday 10 February 2015

Blame the inner drama student...

I love weird, artistic stuff. Blame the inner drama student. I'm one of those annoying people that looks for hidden meaning and becomes fixated on story. I love physical theatre. I love discussing books. I love listening to different interpretations of the same piece of art. I LOVE the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (all things weird and wonderful happen there). 

Because of this love of the quirky, I love Sia's music video for Elastic Heart:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWZGAExj-es

One interpretation is that it signifies a person's struggle with addiction. I don't know if this is true, or if it even matters what your interpretation is (inner child? A struggle with faith?), but when you view it with that in mind, you find all sorts of metaphorical gems. The child (performed by Maddie Zielger who is incredibly talented) representing the addiction itself (how quickly it will be your friend one moment and a biting enemy the next). The cage representing emotional, physical and relational captivity. The ever changing, over-the-top facial expressions representing mood swings and depression. The list could go on forever! 

My husband blew me away the other day with his interpretation of a specific moment in the video. Now, he's not usually one for overly artistic pieces, even though he likes to make up metaphors when he wants to cement a point in conversation/'domestic disputes' (tee hee). Whenever I present him with one of my poems to read, he normally asks me why I have to make things so complicated (I love his honesty!). If he had his way, a poem in it's best form would probably be 'Frog, pond, plop'. And that's not to diminish him in any way. He's just not that type of thinker. He loves theology and biography and history. He's a fact hound, and he knows some great ones. Which is why his interpretation of this artistically weird and though provoking music video made my mouth drop and my fist connect with his in a celebratory bump. 

At the very end of the video, the young girl or 'addiction' (if we're going with that interpretation) squeezes out of the cage and tries to pull the man (Shia LeBeouf - another reason why I like this video (!)) out too. The video ends with her still trying desperately to release him and the man looking exhausted as he sinks to the ground in what looks like defeat. Austin's interpretation of this moment was this: although the man is separated or 'free' from his addiction, he has to remain in a different kind of captivity, because if he lets himself engage fully and freely with the world with no guards up, his addiction would soon find him again. 

Mind. Blown. My deep husband, ladies and gentlemen.

I highly recommend that you watch the video, and also her earlier one 'Chandelier' (Maddie Zielger is the star of that one too). Watch, absorb, interpret and re-watch. It's beautiful work. Let yourself be a weird art lover for a moment, and praise the Lord for giving us imaginations and such varying perspectives on life! 

Chandelier:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM




No comments:

Post a Comment