Tuesday 18 November 2014

A comical moment...

Have you ever had one of those moments when your life becomes a comic sketch? 

Well, yesterday I got stuck in a coat. 

To back track a little, this week I have the pleasure of playing host to a friend from England. She went out of her way to come and see us, and we are so happy to have her! 

We had a girly day yesterday, shopping at Grapevine Mills. She was looking for a new handbag, and I was looking for, well, you've probably already guessed it.

Enter the coat from hell.

It was a simple black coat that zipped all the way up to the chin. As soon as I put it on and took a look in the changing room mirrors, I decided it wasn't the one for me, and I attempted to undo the zip. 

Then my friend attempted to undo the zip. 

Then I tried again, this time a little more desperately. 

Then my friend tried once more, before suggesting that we seek the help of a shop assistant in case we busted the zip.

But first, we attempted to remove the coat over my head. Because that seemed like a sensible idea.

Evidently, I have a fat head.

More panic ensued when I tried to get the coat back on again in order to go and seek help from a shop assistant. I couldn't very well walk out into the shop with the coat flapping over my head and being led by the hand by my friend who was hyperventilating with laughter, now could I? 

I managed to get one arm in, but the other was a struggle. It looked like I had one normal arm and one worthy of a T-Rex. I had no more energy, but my friend summoned her inner boot camp sergeant and ordered me to PUSH IT THROUGH!!! I can't! YES YOU CAN! 

It turned out I could.

By this time my cheeks were flushed, there were tears in my eyes and my friend was speechless from laughter. 

Huffing, and feeling a little claustrophobic in my straight jacket, we hurried out of the changing rooms and found an assistant. 

I pointed at the coat and said, "Stuck!"

I was sure she would call the fire brigade, or at least use some impressive coat busting scissors to set me free, but she merely pinched the top of the coat and slid the zip down without so much as a tug. This was too much for my friend, who burst into more fits of hysterics and gasped, "What a perfect end to a comic sketch!" 

I can only assume that we had loosened the zip with all our tugging, or that this was not the first time the shop assistant had released a customer from the coat from hell.

Looking back, the whole debacle definitely wouldn't have been out of place as a scene on a show like Miranda. Then again, maybe it was a 'you had to be there' moment, in which case I apologise for this tedious blog post. 

However, I would ask all of you to heed this word of warning: NEVER attempt to remove a zipped coat over your head. It will only make matters worse by smearing your mascara and giving you a head-size complex. 


No comments:

Post a Comment