Tuesday 14 October 2014

Probably the most random post I've written...

As I'm typing this post, I have the heater on underneath my desk. Yep, it's cold in Texas! A chilly 12 degrees centigrade (54 Fahrenheit) according to my phone. 

The leaves are starting to look sorry for themselves, and the leaf blower men are looking hopeful. It's their time to shine! There's only one leaf on the ground, but by gum, will they blow it into oblivion! (I can't believe I just wrote 'by gum'. I apologise, but I couldn't think of another expression. My head's all fuzzy from cold, a side-effect from the sudden drop in temperature)

This weather is bliss over here. When you're used to suffocating heat, sticky car seats and steering wheels that will give you third degree burns, a cold front is a welcome change. 

I'm quite excited about the cold. I love snuggling into my jumpers, and I've been staring at my assortment of scarves rather longingly for a while now. Maybe it's time to break them out.

I need to buy some actual shoes. I've been wearing flip flops for I don't know how long. I can't remember the last time I wore socks. For those of you who know me personally, you are well aware of my foot problem, in that they are HUGE. I mean, man-size. As much as I try to deny it, my husbands feet are definitely a fraction smaller than mine. Oh, the shame! 

I'm a size 9 in England, an 8 on a good day. The conversion to US sizes, to my horror, goes up by two. So I'm an 11 here. 11! Buying flip flops is fine, because my feet can spread out. I can even get away with a 10. But proper, covered shoes?! I'm not looking forward to that shopping trip.  

My feet are pretty wide, too. My sister and I call them 'meat slabs'. She has a similar problem, although hers are slightly smaller. 

I used to have nightmares about my feet as a child. As you can imagine, they grew at an alarming rate when I was at school. I couldn't wear the pretty, dainty shoes that other girls wore. I used to dream about them becoming elongated, bulbous clown feet. This nightmare becomes reality whenever I go bowling. 

I need my big feet, though, because of my height. Size 9 feet (I'm sticking with the British sizing because it keeps me out of double figures) match a 5'10" body. With the strong winds we've been having recently, I need them to keep me upright! 

Anyway, enough of feet. 

Hubby and I have been contemplating getting a dog. We visited friends this weekend who have just purchased a Golden Retriever puppy. She's lovely and very snuggly. But, we've decided that it's not the right time for us. For one, we live in a one bedroom apartment with a cat - it would be pandemonium! And two, we both work full time. Maybe next year, when we are able to spread out a little more. 

I'd want to rescue a Greyhound. Probably an ex-racer. They are the sweetest dogs. They're calm, gentle giants, and they rarely bark. My family used to have a Lurcher (Greyhound cross) and since then I've been a convert. 

Many people think they need a lot of exercise, but actually they're quite lazy. They have a blast of energy, then they're quite content to chill out for the rest of the day. Another great thing about Greyhounds is that they don't shed a lot of hair, and don't really smell. They're also used to other dogs, because of the racing environment. Plus, when you're out walking one, a child will come up to you and say, "Can I pat your horse?" That never stops being funny. 

So go out and adopt a Greyhound! There are so many that need homes. 

Wow, this has been a random blog post. To sum up, it's chilly in Texas, there's one leaf on the ground, the leaf blower men are fighting over it, I have meat-slab feet, and Greyhounds are awesome. 

See you next Tuesday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment