Tuesday 21 October 2014

Pffft

So, the first time I saw a skunk, I ran after it with my camera phone while my husband dropped and rolled in the opposite direction.

The second time I saw a skunk, I attempted to leave my car three times before plucking up the courage to dash past it and into the safety of the apartment. It seems that skunk fear has seized me.

It was dusk, and I was just returning from a bible study. I pulled into my parking space, turned off the engine and reached for my hand bag. Then I saw it. Cute, black, white and deadly - a skunk was trotting backwards and forwards in front of my apartment like a sentry. 

I took a deep breath (to calm my nerves and in preparation for 'the big stink' that might ensue) and stepped out of the car. I thought if I slammed the door, it might scare the skunk away. Then again, the sudden noise might cause it to toot. I decided to close it gently. 

My main aim was to pose no threat to the skunk. I started to walk carefully towards it, hoping to slip by undetected, when it looked at me. I flew back to the car.

The skunk continued to trot backwards and forwards. They really are cute animals. This one was particularly dainty. 

I got out of the car again and started tiptoeing towards it.

Then a stray dog appeared. 

Oh heck!

Dog saw skunk. Skunk saw dog. Dog went rigid. Skunk went rigid. Dog's tail started to wag. Skunk's tail went vertical. Dog licked its lips (do dogs have lips?!). Skunk's bum went 'pffft'.

Flee!

I found myself in the car again.

Was that just a warning toot?

I sniffed a few times but couldn't smell anything. Having smelt skunk pong many times before, and knowing that it can have a radius of up to a mile, there would definitely have been a smell if the skunk had tooted. I was safe.

But the skunk was still there, and its tail was still rigid. I had no idea where the dog had gone.  
I tried to ring my husband. I tried to ring my husband three times. 

My hope was that he'd open the front door for me, thus scaring the skunk away and giving me a clear getaway without having to stop and fumble around for my key. He later told me that he would no way have done this for me. Apparently rescuing your wife from a skunk is not part of the marriage deal. 

The skunk was now in the bushes, camouflaged. I had visions of him leaping out at me, bum first as I attempted my third trek to safety. But, I made it to the door and fell through it in triumph.

So, there you have it - my second skunk encounter. 



*


Next week, Austin and I will have reached our one year anniversary. 

We celebrated a week early this past weekend with a day and night in downtown Dallas. We stayed at the Adolphus, a beautiful baroque hotel built in 1912. It had that 'Downton Abbey' feel, which I loved. They even hold Downton Abbey evenings, where a five star French chef serves meals inspired by the fictional Mrs. Patmore and the British foods served in big houses at that time. One can only dream!

We had lunch at Klyde Warren (the park over the highway, which is a genius use of space), went to the Perot Museum of Science and Nature, and ate our evening meal on the rooftop at Iron Cactus. Our celebration was completed the next morning with a room service breakfast of bacon, pancakes, tea and coffee. Thank you Groupon!      



(A trip to the Perot wouldn't be complete without a 3D film experience. We chose 'The Galapogus Islands'. Little did I know that there would be 3D flying spiders)




 

(Margaritas at Iron Cactus!)



(Oh, what's this? Chandeliers and Jazz bands at the Adolphus? Just call me Mary Crawley, darling)


After our anniversary, I will also be nearing the end of my first year in Texas - goodness! Get ready for some reminiscing in next week's post!


No comments:

Post a Comment