Thursday 5 December 2013

The British Emporium

I have discovered how to get my fix of Britain right here in the heart of Texas. 

I don't need to spend $1000 dollars on a flight, oh no my friend. I need only to travel 20 minutes up the road to a heavenly place called the British Emporium, run by Sylvia (who has, incidentally, kept her clipped British accent after 20 years of living here, whereas I find myself accused by my sister over Skype as sounding American already after a pitiful month. I am an accent chameleon. I once spent an entire flight from Australia to England chatting to the person next to me who, at the end of the journey, enquired as to which part of Australia I was from. I'd been there 2 weeks). 

The shop is cramped with narrow isles (a dedication to British roads), and FULL of British treats. At the moment, it is Christmas land for me, with mince pies, brandy butter, Christmas pudding, Cadbury's chocolate box selections, clotted cream fudge, mulled wine, shortbread, stinky cheese (the mouldier the better) and crackers (pulling a cracker at the Christmas table and wearing jolly paper hats is not done here...give me time...). Apart from food products, there were other necessities for a Brit living abroad: Pears soap, Savlon (?!), Doctor Who memorabilia (of course), teapots and mugs sporting every single icon associated with Britain. By the time I left with my goods I was all for purchasing a Union Jack flag (they sold them by the door) and singing God Save the Queen (I think my mother-in-law would have been slightly mortified). As it was, I left with a polite 'Cheerio and thank you'. 

My purchases included: 



...to have on my...

 

(I made my mother-in-law try one with Marmite on it. Let's just say she was not a fan. In fact, I have yet to find anyone over here that is. It is my mission. I shall carry my Marmite wherever I go and find a fellow lover)


...the best jam EVER (Christmas flavour - who care's what's in it!!! It could be Reindeer for all I know, but it's just so darn good!) and brandy butter to accompany the mince pies I will be making with a jar of mincemeat that I also purchased.



I also grabbed two Cornish pasties which we will be having for tea in 15 minutes. I researched Cornish pasties (as you do) and found out that tin miners used to eat them because it formed a complete meal without the need for cutlery and the thick pastry kept the food inside warm for a long time. AND apparently they used to hold the pasty along the crusted edge with their dirty, arsenic covered fingers which they later threw away to prevent themselves form getting a tummy ache or, you know, dying. Of course this may all be myth. 

Here is a picture of our Cornish pasties:



They contain beef, swede (or 'rutabaga' over here - I know, great word!), potato and onions. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. It was a joy for me to be able to take you somewhere you could get some things from home. You're smile was priceless!! We will have to put that on our monthly routine. You can sing God bless the Queen anytime you want!! lol

    ReplyDelete