Thursday 19 December 2013

Queso

Queso is a warm, cheesy, Tex-Mex dip for chips (aka crisps). It is very popular over here and I am a rather enormous fan. 

Hubby asked me to make some one evening, so I Googled a recipe and headed to Walmart for the ingredients, which included Monterey Jack cheese, Colby Jack cheese and jalapeños. Meticulously, I combined all the ingredients in a pan and stirred and stirred. Unfortunately, the recipe told me to whisk flour into the mixture as a thickener, but, it being our second-ish week of Newly-wedded bliss, we did not own one, so I improvised with a fork. The end result was the right colour but it seemed to have a runnier consistency than Quesos I had tried before. 

Hubby came home full of excitement to try the home-made Queso and I optimistically offered him a dipped chip. He took one bite, frowned, told me it tasted like dust, and bought two pre-made jars from Walmart. 

Two things I learned from this fiasco:

1. A fork is NOT a substitute for a whisk (Hubby also bought me one of those pretty quickly)

2. A far easier method of making Queso is to buy Velveeta (aka fake cheese) and mix it with diced tomatoes and green chiles. 

(Ironically, while gathering my flawed ingredients from Walmart I saw tons of Velveeta boxes EVERYWHERE, including three in the arms of the shopper in front of me at the till. And it was on offer. I think God was trying to make it easy for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment