Thursday 22 May 2014

The Dreaded DMV

So, today was the day when I made a dent in my venture to get a Texas driving license. I got in line, I filled out my forms, I took my ticket. 924. They were calling 56.

Oh sweet Moses.

57.

Kill me now.

573.

Wait, what?

902.

Ok, so the numbers meant nothing. NOTHING. At least if they'd been in some kind of order I would have known if I had time to go to the loo (I still went twice, but was seized by fear every time I heard the muffled voice of the computerized lady drift under the toilet door to announce the next number. They didn't wait very long until they moved onto the next: "35"..."35?"..."Last call for 35"..."Tough nuggets 35. 415!")   

After about an hour, my number was called and I went through to pay my money and take my theory test (Only $25 dollars, people of England! And I can take it THREE TIMES. Three. Times.Oh, and that's for the theory AND the practical! For you non-Brits, in England a theory test costs around £31 pounds and a practical costs £62. And that's EACH TIME. In dollars, that's about $52 for theory and $104 for practical. Why???!!!)

The touch-screen computer I chose for my theory test wasn't synced up properly, so the arrow was about a centimetre to the right of wherever my finger was. I did not want to get a wrong answer because of  bad sync-age! 

Anyway, after number confusion, loo fear and bad sync-age, I passed and am now ready for my practical. I will be mobile in Texas in no time! Hooray for grabbing my freedom back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment