Tuesday 14 January 2014

Texas Pride

Texans are proud of Texas. We all know this, and so they should be! They are the nicest people, they invented Texas BBQ, they have a pretty cool history and everything really is larger than life, including this pizza:




But I had no idea that Texas pride could infiltrate interior design and other inventive items until I went to Austin. 

My day started with a waffle: 




(Sadly, East Texas was lost due to the tornado named 'my tragic waffle making skills')

I then visited the State Capitol...


...where I opened doors with lone star door knobs and enormous Texas hinges, gazed up at lone star ceilings and down at lone star floors, and was dazzled by the word TEXAS in Vegas-would-be-proud lights in the council chamber.  

On a trip to the Bullock Museum of Texas History (which is a GREAT museum and well worth a trip), I walked across Texas carpets...



...stood in the shadow of a fifty foot star, and sat on a table opposite a cowboy carrying a lasso, wearing chaps and sporting a beard like General Custer (I thought at first that he might be a hired actor or an enthusiastic worker, but no, he was just a tourist). 

Are you seeing a pattern? Texas is EVERYWHERE in Texas. They do patriotism well, and no idea is too small. I mean, freaking door knobs!!! I love them for it, and I'm considering following in their footsteps and custom making a Great Britain crumpet cutter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment