Tuesday 20 January 2015

A Charity Project

Over the past several months, I have been working on a charity book project entitled 'Pay Attention to Black Thread'. 

The purpose of this book is to raise money for Carer's Trust, an organisation that support young carers in the UK.

Here is a paragraph from their site to briefly describe what a young carer does: 

"A survey carried out in 2010 by the BBC estimated that there are 700,000 young carers in the UK.
Young carers are children and young people who often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult.

Some of the ways young people care for someone are:

Staying in the house a lot to be there for them
Helping them to get up, get washed or dressed, or helping with toileting
Doing lots of the household chores like shopping, cleaning and cooking
Looking after younger brothers and sisters

Providing emotional support or a shoulder to cry on"

Carers Trust: http://www.carers.org/

I have had the pleasure of working with a member of the Carers Trust team to ensure that this story is reflects their work and the children they care for.

Below, dear readers, is a sneak peek at the first few pages of 'Pay Attention to Black Thread'. I will be self-publishing the book in February (date to be confirmed) and would love your support in promoting it to readers. The book is aimed at readers aged 9-13, but I hope it will appeal to a broader audience too. Carers Trust are excited to promote this venture via their own social media, so between us we should be able to raise some much needed funds.

Thank you! 

P.S. If you would like to get involved with the promotion of this book, please contact me at rosiehigh87@gmail.com. 



Black Thread


In the few seconds before she slams me against the toilet wall, I think, “Who sews a white button onto a white shirt with black thread?”
  

The Sniper


Irene Blakely’s fluorescent pink hair is always piled on top of her head like a flowering cactus, and she is just as prickly.
Her eyes have that hollow look, like she is somewhere else entirely, but then, in a flash, they’re trained on you like a sniper. Recently, I have become the target. Whenever I pass her in the corridors, I expect to find a red dot on my forehead in the reflection of the windows.
Irene is tall, muscular and broad. The three ‘must haves’ for a textbook bully. The tops of her arms and legs are unusually thick for a 12-year-old. She’s a beast at discus, shot-put, and javelin. Basically, anything that requires hurling an object.
Mr. Self, the P.E. teacher, loves her during Athletic season. He practically dances at the sidelines when her javelin spears the winning distance. I have to say that I question his decision to arm her with weapons throughout the summer months, but the glory of winning is just too tempting for him.
  

A Spared Salmon


To be honest, the only weapons Irene needs in this black thread moment are attached to the ends of her arms.
They threaten me, four pork sausages and a chipolata, clenched into two stone fists. I wait patiently for the impact.
There is no one else around. The girls who were polishing their cheeks with blush and reapplying ruby lips scattered as soon as Irene bulldozed through the door. I stare at the smear of lipstick on one of the mirrors, left by one of them as she had appreciated her reflection from a vain distance. 
To my relief, Irene’s fists lower slowly to her sides. She glares at me, turns, and locks herself in a cubicle.
I don’t wait to see if she lights a cigarette or commits some other school offence. I slip from those toilets at a run, launching myself into the throng of kids on their way to next period, like a salmon rejoining the shoal in the battle upstream.
  


Knee Boob


That’s exactly what school is: a constant battle upstream.
Exams, status, homework, attainment grades, effort grades, fashion dos, fashion don’ts. Thank goodness for uniform, I say. Although, if your skirt isn’t six inches above your knees, you might as well turn up wearing a pair of knickers on your head. Days of the week ones, at that. 
Personally, I think it looks ridiculous to have a bulging wad around your waist line from the rolling up of your school-appropriate skirt.  I’d much rather hide my knees.
I have one of those funny bump things that happen to the unfortunate during a period of excessive growth. A ‘knee boob’. Well, I might as well have one somewhere, because they’re certainly not on my chest.


A Pooped Salmon


Sometimes I leave school at the end of the day utterly exhausted. All I want to do is go home, crawl into bed and read my book. But I can’t, because that’s not what my mum has in mind.
She wants me to talk to her, and one word sentences are not acceptable. I have to string words together, I have to use inflection, expression, even gestures! And then I have to do my homework. As if a whole day of school isn’t enough!
After homework, we eat dinner, and then I have to wash up while my sister dries. Then, and only then, can I watch TV or dive under my bed covers with my latest book. 
I’m telling you, after five days a week of that routine, this salmon is pooped.


Pay Attention

 
For the rest of the day, as I concentrate on blending in like a smudged pastel, I can’t shake the image of that black thread and what it was trying to tell me. Maybe I’m weird, but it just doesn’t seem right.
            Whenever my waist fills out yet another inch and one of my shirt buttons decides it can’t cope, my mum sews it back on with white thread. It just makes sense!
Apart from being the wrong colour, Irene’s button thread is also too thick. It’s been forced through the button holes, making each one look like a surprised little ‘oh’. 
“Pay attention, Rebecca,” my teachers snap at me in French, Maths, Science and Art.

I am, I think. I’m paying attention to black thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment