Tuesday 16 September 2014

A Weekend of Firsts

This past weekend was a weekend of firsts. Allow me to lay them out for you:



First number 1 (the first first, if you will): I bought my first piece of art.

I am officially an adult. And a cultured one at that.

Ok, so it's a print (no need to break the bank just yet), but I bought it from the artist herself, in person, which has to count for something. 

I love Mary Gregory's stuff. She paints birds mainly, and I bought a framed print of a humming bird.

If you'd like to check her out, here is a picture of her card:





And a link to her website: http://marygregorystudio.com/


The prints come framed in rustic, wooden shadow boxes too - bargain! 



First number 2: I saw my first 'man-grape'.

I think this can only be explained with a picture:





First number 3: I consumed my first corn dog.

Let's backtrack a little...

'Grapefest' is an annual wine tasting festival in Grapevine. As well as wine tasting, they have various craft stalls, fair rides and food (the 'not-so-good-for-you' kind) vendors. 

Enter the corn dog. But not just any old corn dog. A foot-long corn dog. 

The first bite was yummy. I thought, "corn dog, where have you been all my life?" The second bite was the same, and so on, until I had eaten what can only be described as a normal amount of corn dog. But this was not a normal corn dog. I still had half a foot to go. 

The rest of the consumption was pretty brutal.

For those of you that don't know, a corn dog is a hot dog dipped in batter and deep fried. But it was ok, because the next day, I had my fourth first, which completely balanced it out (I hope).



First number 4: I completed my first 5K.

I walked the whole way, but it was a brisk walk, and I felt the burn. 

Next time (in two weeks, hopefully) I shall endeavor to run some of the way. It's all about progression. 

I've never been a runner. Apparently, I have a very unique running style, which involves a lot of bobbing up and down. I'm a 'bobber'. If I put the same amount of energy into going forwards, maybe I can crack this running lark.  


So, there you have it! My weekend of firsts. Art, man-grape, corn dog and 5K. 



FYI: My baby niece had a first this weekend, too. Her first rusk. They don't seem to have them in Texas, but I found them in the British Emporium. Hurrah! 

They are large round biscuits (cookies) for babies. I can still remember the taste (and it's not because I pinched a bit from my nieces rusk, although that did happen). It's just one of those baby-hood tastes that I think most Brits remember. 



No comments:

Post a Comment